Saturday, May 22, 2010

Milton and Multiculturalism

Further to the topic of the infamous Notice of Motion, there is little I can add to what Mike Grimwood has said below.
Although a probable mis-attribution, the Motion quotes Edmund Burke (more likely Leo Tolstoy in his book "War and Peace"), as saying "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing". If we sweep this under the rug, if don't speak to it, this evil will triumph.

I was born in New Zealand and to think that the country of my birth was lumped in as a moral and political cesspool offended me deeply. I know my feelings are shared by other New Canadians, one of whom said he was sickened when he read that Motion. He couldn't even discuss it with his wife, he had her read it for herself.

When I, and others, became citizens of Canada, we took the following oath: "I swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfill my duties as a Canadian citizen."

I am proud to be a Canadian, and I am proud to be have been elected to serve my community, the residents of the Town of Milton.

No comments:

Post a Comment